Background

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Birth Story, Part II

We arrived at the hospital around 8:15pm and the way they do it is that we have to go through the Emergency Room. Stupid, I know; I didn't like it at all especially because it was PACKED!!!

Luckily a lady saw that I was in labor and had us move right into registration so we didn't have to wait. (Thank you again, ma'am!) They had to go over some stuff and have me sign a couple things. I was shaking so badly that I could hardly sign my name but I didn't care what it looked like, they knew it was me. We waited for a wheel chair that I didn't want to ride it. Sitting was very uncomfortable so I told her I would just walk. Nope, nada, they weren't having that.

As we waited for the wheel chair, I rocked and swayed against the wall with the whole ER staring at me. You would have thought I had two heads.

Once we got up to Triage, I had to get into a gown and they again had to ask me a bunch more questions. A few times I would have to just stop talking and breathe through the surges (contractions).

My Midwife, Janice, showed up and checked me. I was still 4 cm's but I was finally 100% effaced. YAY, I was making progress. The Triage was full (it was a full moon) and my birthing room wasn't ready yet so they asked me to walk for an hour in the waiting room. Sure, that sounds fine but little did I know things were just starting to get stronger.



My surges started getting VERY close together, about 1 minuted apart and lasting 50 sec's each. I got the Ipod out and listened to my Hypnobirthing stuff while I walked. I wanted to brush my teeth so my Mom and I headed into the bathroom. I couldn't even get through that without stopping, leaning my head on the counter and breathing. A "wonderful" woman comes in and sees I am in labor and says "ooooh man, do you want me to leave?". I told her no, she did her business, came out and said "Oh back labor is the worst" as my Mom was massaging my lower back. I wanted to yell "GET the F out of here, lady, and leave me alone" but I didn't.



At one point, I said to my Mom and Chris "I can see why people have epidurals". HAHA

Once the hour passed, we got into my room (318) around 10:30. I was immediately hooked up to the monitor to check my surges and Preston's heartrate. The birthing tub that I had asked for was being filled up by the SINK. Yes, the damn sink. So, it wasn't going very fast at all. My Mom had said Preston would be 3 years old before the tub was full.



I labored in bed for about an hour waiting for the tub to fill. Janice came in and was quite angry that it was not filling and said "Ok Stacy, we're getting you up and into the shower. You're going in naked and Chris & Nancy, you're coming with her.". I emptied my bladder first and she tended to my side as a surge came on.

I stood in the shower with warm water  hitting my back while Chris sat on the bench in the back of the shower and my Mom stood outside. My Mom rubbed my lower back for each surge and wow, it was such a relief. I would lean on the railing and Chris's lap during the surges as I swayed, squatted and breathed through them.

I was allowed to stay in the shower for 40 min's then had to get back in bed and have the monitor hooked up for 20 min's. I looked at my Mom and said "I don't know if I can do this any longer." My Mom said that I should see how far along I was at this point before giving up my hope to have an unmedicated birth.

Janice came in, checked me and said I was 7 cm's at which point I said, "Well, I'm not going to get one now then."

After 20 minutes on the monitor I got back in the shower. My Mom was soaked but that didn't stop her from doing her lumbar massage for me.

I rode the surges with my squatting, swaying and breathing and felt like I was having pressure at this point. I got out of the shower and Janice checked me again to tell me I was still at 7 cm's. After being monitored for another 20 minutes, Janice told me to get back in the shower and that if my water hadn't broke after the next 40 minutes, she would break it for me.

Stay tuned for Part III................

No comments:

Post a Comment