Background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Birthplan

Ok, this is my plan. I know things can change and I'm sure something will change but these are the steps I have in order to help me through my birthing experience as painlessly and enjoyable as possible.

Hospital Admissions
  • To be assigned a nurse who is partial to un-medicated birthing.
  • To self-hydrate and decline routine IV prep upon admission.
  • Natural means of inducement, moving to minimum does of artificial induction only if medically urgent.
  • To have subdued lighting, music and quiet tones in birthing room.
  • To have only intermittent monitoring (EFM) or FHR after the mandatory twenty-minute strip at admission.
  • To have pictures and/or video
  • To have telephone calls relayed to our room only after the baby has been born.
To have the following persons present during my birthing:
  • My husband
  • My Mom
During labor
  • To have everyone be as quiet and calm as possible.
  • To have the lights dimmed.
  • To have as few interruptions as possible.
  • Internal monitoring only in the event of medical urgency.
  • Nutritional snacking.
  • Freedom to walk and move.
  • To change positions and assume labor positions of choice.
  • Minimal number of vaginal exams – with permission.
  • To use natural stimulation – nipple stimulation- in the event of a slow or resting labor.
  • To be fully apprised and consulted before the introduction of any medical procedure –augmentation , membrane stripping.
  • To enjoy the shower as needed along with the birthing ball.
  • For pain relief, I’d like to use breathing techniques, massage or hypnosis.
During birth:
  • To assume a birthing position of choice.
  • Perinatal massage of perineum if necessary to avoid episiotomy.
  • Episiotomy only if necessary and only after discussion.
  • Complete birthing before suctioning baby’s nose and throat.
  • Videotaping or pictures of birth.
After birth:
  • Please let the cord stop pulsing before cutting
  • Put baby to Mom’s chest right away
  • Let Dad cut the cord
  • Do bathing & testing with Dad watching
  • NO Hep B vaccine
  • NO Erythromycin
  • Please allow breastfeeding as soon as possible
  • Please do not allow any other visits until breastfeeding has been established
  • To allow placenta to come out on its own…NO pitocin unless medically necessary
If a C-section is necessary, I would like:
  • To make sure all other options have been exhausted
  • To stay conscious
  • My Husband to remain with me the entire time
  • The surgery explained as it happens
  • My husband to hold the baby as soon as possible
  • To breastfeed in the recovery room

3 comments:

  1. This is a great plan!! Wishing you the best and hoping you get everything you want out of this birth. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great birth plan Stacy! I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that everything works out the way you and Chris are hoping for! I can't wait to meet PGA soon! =)

    ReplyDelete